Being that fall / winter is my most favourite season of the year, how do I to update my wardrobe with just 5 things? I think like others that LOVE fall /winter dressing, it's about the rich colours and the layering of clothes. Nothing feels better than cozy up in a big over sized sweater (and in my case hiding the little chubby bits I've gained as I've gotten older). Seriously, updating your wardrobe with just 5 items can be done. Tip: Think solid colours and clean lines - You can go out confidently into the fall /winter season without having to re-buy a bunch of things. So here are the 5 things you need this fall/ winter:
1. Wrap Coat - I'm a huge fan of coats. I have a lot of them in my closet. If you only get to add one coat into your wardrobe this year, let it be a wrap coat (or also known as a robe coat). In terms of colour, camel, navy, black, grey, tweed and olive green...all very great choices. I went with the Jacoby coat in charcoal tweed from Aritzia this year. It's lighter weight (so great for the fall) and it's so easy to wear because it's a quick wrap , tie and go.
2. Structured Bag - A structured bag is very versatile. Unlike it's opposite friend the slouchy hobo bag, the structured bag in a smooth-like leather can transition into dressy or causal very easily. Also, a good sized structured top handle bag can fit a lot of things and you can easily find things. I hate having to fish around in a large bag trying to find my damn keys. The Aritzia Auxiliary bag has been my go to this season. It's just the right size, made with high quality leather and gold trimmings.
3. Monk Strap Shoes - The monk strap shoe is a style of footwear that is a staple in mens wear. It's basically an oxford with a strap across the arch of the foot. Yes, a heel is always sexy but so is a nice looking pair of structured pointed toe monk strap shoes. I found mine at Zara for under one hundred dollars and they fit like a glove. The only thing I was unsure of was the velcro strap. However so far I have had no major problems with the on and off with the closure.
4. Cable Knit Sweater - Can't get any more traditional than a cable knit sweater. Time and time again, this sweater reappears every fall/winter and you most likely already have a few different variations in your closet. So, if you do not have one, it's time to get one. If you already have a couple sitting in your closet, this season would make a great excuse for you to add another perhaps in a different colour.
5. Suede Booties - Most people will say, it's a no no to wear suede in the winter. I say, as long as you spray protect them properly, a little bit of wet won't hurt them. By all means don't go jumping into puddles with suede footwear, but don't be afraid to brave the rain, especially if you are wearing these smoking hot Acne Jensen booties.