I now work in a very "corporate-y" business environment but that doesn't mean I throw "fashion" out the door. Like most office environments today "business casual" is the preferred look, (meaning you can wear jeans but please clean yourself up). However, working in a corporate business environment does mean having to be prepared at all times, as you never know what types of meetings you'll get pulled into.
For the days I have scheduled meetings I do plan outfits that look dressier, however for my day to day I am usually in a pair of skinny jeans and a button up shirt (accessorized of course). The office I work at is huge, so running from one room to other room can be like running marathon, so flats are the way to go on most days. But I always have at least 2 to 3 pair of pumps hiding under my desk for those just in case moments I get pulled into a last minute meeting and I need to throw together a more, powerful and polished look (which I like to call, channeling my inner "Emmanuelle Alt").
There are 5 types of pumps every woman needs to have in their closet and in my case stashed away in my office drawers or stashed under my desk. Any one of these will instantly change your casual business look into a more polished and powerful casual business look in a jiffy.
1. French Connection Black Leather and Suede Pump, $125 - A two piece black pump gives your foot a more sexy "barley there" look and the mid-heel height makes it easy to take on those office stairs two at a time.
2. Stuart Weitzman Nude Patent Pump, $340 - Goes with literally everything...a no brainer. I actually prefer a nude pump over black any day as I think it helps elongate my short legs.
3. Joie Nude Sandal Heel, $270 - Great for the summer, a barely there sandal heel is a must. Either in nude or black, leather or suede, it really does't matter. Oh, and make sure your toes are nicely pedicured!
4. DVF Sling Back, $325 - The sling back pump is one that doesn't get a lot of love and attention and I really think it's a shame. Like the barely there sandal and the two piece, I think a sling back really makes for a very sexy look on the foot. I also suggest trying it in a bold color like red, blue or burgundy.
5. Kate Spade Leopard Pump, $350 - Especially for fall/winter, a pump in some sort of animal print is a must and let it be leopard.